Friday, March 11, 2011

Freewrite 3/11: Finding a place

Once again, I've been a busy girl in recent days.  Last Friday, I learned my work study would be panning out, and I started it this past Tuesday.  I work for Memory Garden Memorial Park & Mortuary in Brea, which is a relatively small facility as far as mortuaries go.  Anymore, a lot of mortuaries are being bought by corporations (as an example, El Camino Memorial Park -where my grandparents are buried- is now owned by SCI, which is one of the largest of these corporations), so independent mortuaries are becoming more and more scarce.

But I digress.  Back on-topic.

To put it shortly, I love the work.  It's really interesting to learn about the inner workings of a mortuary.  Most people only really see mortuaries from the 'grieving family making arrangements' side of things, but there is so much more to it when you're an employee.  My role is as a student worker, specifically as a Night Attendant.  I'll be assisting with general running of the facility, memorial services, and anything else the staff might need my help with.  For example, yesterday I assisted one of the Funeral Directors with dressing and casketing a body for a memorial service that was set for this morning.  If it's the kind of thing you're into, it really can be fascinating.  F'rinstance, she showed me how to apply makeup to a case, which will come in handy when I begin my later classes.

I feel so much happier since I started this job.  I really feel like I've found a good place for myself (I almost said 'niche', which has its own meaning in the funeral business), and I love every minute of it.  Sure, it's not always the most fascinating work -especially when we're doing mundane closing tasks- but I really can't complain about it at all.  I really hope I can keep learning in this job; after all, that's one reason I wanted it.

A few years ago, I did a pre-health internship at Palomar Medical Center and Pomerado Hospital.  I enjoyed doing it, and I always tried to take as many shifts as I possibly could so I could keep learning about the hospital dynamic.  I'm trying to do the same with this job (while still having time for school and a life) so I can get as much out of it as I can.  After all, books and lectures can only teach you so much about a profession.

So yes.  In short, a happy girl am I.  I truly couldn't be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment